Our Internet address (domain name) has changed from "needhamlibrary.org" to "friendsneedhamlibrary.org". Please click
http://friendsneedhamlibrary.org
to use our new address, and note the new address in your web browser's favorites or bookmarks.

Home > Library Reconstruction

Library Reconstruction

From mid-2004 through early 2006, the Library’s Highland Avenue building underwent an extensive reconstruction project, resulting in a structure with almost twice the interior space as the previous building.

In the spring of 2004, an announcement described the planned closing, move, and reopening of the Library in its temporary location at the High Rock School.

The Library closed at the Highland Avenue building on June 26, 2004, and was closed for three weeks.

The Library reopened at the High Rock location on July 19, 2004.

After the Library moved its operations out of the Highland Avenue building, demolition work began. The 1961 and 1981 additions were razed, leaving the original 1915 structure in place. Here are some photos of the demolition work and the library site after cleanup.

The original 1915 building which faces Highland Avenue was left intact; the new construction connects to the 1915 building.

Here are architects’ renderings of the new Library building; Click on one of the small images to display a larger version. (Images provided by Ann Beha Architects.)

Highland Avenue side, view toward southwest. Highland Avenue side, view toward northwest. Entry side, view from parking lot.

Groundbreaking for the new construction took place on Sunday, October 17, 2004.

Here are some photos of the construction work in progress.

The Library closed at the High Rock School location on February 26, 2006. After moving back to the Highland Avenue location, the Library reopened in the new building on March 17, 2006.