Individuals who work, own property, or reside in any Massachusetts city or town are eligible to hold a Minuteman Library Network card, which avails patrons of over six million items held by forty-two member libraries. Individuals who wish to procure a Minuteman Library Network should present positive proof of identity and address (see below) and, additionally, in the case of people who work or own property in Needham, proof of Needham employment or Needham property ownership to staff of the Circulation Department.
1. Proof of identification –current or expired (must include name and photo)
- Alien Resident Card
- Government issued cards, such as Military ID
- State issued photo ID including driver’s license, welfare, Medicaid, or FID card
- School or university ID
2. Proof of current local address* (Must include applicant’s name)
- Utility bill or tax bill (dated within the last 60 days)
- Imprinted bank check or deposit slip
- Official school schedule with applicant’s name and address typed on it
- Official letter verifying residency and mailing address dated within last 30 days from a social service provider, temporary employer that provides housing, or a short-term residence
- Postcard mailed to applicant from the library
No longer acceptable as proof of current address: Lease agreements, rent receipts, and personal letters.
*a Post Office Box or business address is not sufficient – a current residential address is required.
If applicant is less than 13 years old, parent or legal guardian must provide proof of identification and address. A child must be present for a parent or legal guardian to get him/her a library card.
If applicant is between the ages of 13 and 17 and cannot meet the ID and address requirements, parent or guardian must provide proof of identification and address. A teen must be present for a parent or legal guardian to get him/her a library card.
Out-of-state Residents who meet the following requirements may be issued a library card with sufficient identification:
- Work in Massachusetts
- Attend school in Massachusetts
- Own property in Massachusetts
- Are temporarily living in Massachusetts for more than 2 months
Out of state residents must provide identification showing their home/permanent address. Property owners must provide verification such as tax bill, utility bill, etc for their Massachusetts property. Students must verify their status with school identification and provide their school address. Out-of-state residents working in Massachusetts must provide their work address.