Individuals who live, work or study in Massachusetts are eligible to hold a Minuteman Library Network card, which avails patrons of over six million items held by forty-two member libraries. A valid Minuteman library card allows borrowing privileges at all member libraries, though select resources and databases may be only available based on residency or college affiliation.
Individuals who wish to procure a Minuteman Library Network should present the following:
- a current, valid Massachusetts Driver’s license or Massachusetts State Identification Card with current address,
- one document from Section 1 AND one document from Section 2 below:
1. Proof of identification –current or expired (must include name and photo)
- Alien Resident Card
- Government issued cards, such as Military ID
- State issued photo ID including welfare, Medicaid, or FID card
- School or university ID
- Senior/T.A.P. ID issued by the MBTA
2. Proof of current local address* (Must include applicant’s name)
- Utility bill or tax bill (dated within the last 60 days)
- Lease agreement
- Imprinted bank check or deposit slip
- Official school schedule with applicant’s name and address typed on it
- Official letter verifying residency and mailing address dated within last 30 days from a social service provider, temporary employer that provides housing, or a short-term residence
- Personal letter mailed to the applicant, postmarked within 60 days
- For patrons who cannot produce photo identification or proof of current local address, someone in an official capacity may attest to a person’s identification and/or address (e.g., someone who works in an official capacity at a shelter to attest to the identification and/or address of a person).
- No longer acceptable as proof of current address: rent receipts.
- If a patron is unable to provide proof of address, the library will mail a card to their address.
- *a Post Office Box or business address is not sufficient – a current residential address is required.
*a Post Office Box or business address is not sufficient – a current residential address is required.
If applicant is less than 13 years old, parent or legal guardian must provide proof of identification and address. A child must be present for a parent or legal guardian to get him/her a library card.
If applicant is between the ages of 13 and 17 and cannot meet the ID and address requirements, parent or guardian must provide proof of identification and address. A teen must be present for a parent or legal guardian to get him/her a library card.
Out-of-state Residents who meet the following requirements may be issued a library card with sufficient identification:
- Work in Massachusetts
- Attend school in Massachusetts
- Own property in Massachusetts
- Are temporarily living in Massachusetts for more than 2 months
Out of state residents must provide identification showing their home/permanent address. Property owners must provide verification such as tax bill, utility bill, etc for their Massachusetts property. Students must verify their status with school identification and provide their school address. Out-of-state residents working in Massachusetts must provide their work address. Patrons who are temporary residents (such as college students or au pairs) should be registered with permanent address in the secondary address field.
To get a digital library card, follow this link.