The Friends of the Needham Public Library is a nonprofit citizens’ group organized in 1973 for the purpose of advancing the goals and enriching the resources of the Needham Free Public Library. We hold periodic book sales and run the Friends’ Book Shop. Each year we make donations to the library that supplement the town’s budget and enhance the library’s collection.
We provide ongoing support for buying books and electronic media, museum passes, summer reading programs and other children’s activities, as well as many special items. Over the years, these have included:
• The Friends’ Art Gallery on the first floor of the library, where local and regional artists show their work on a monthly rotating basis
• Up-to-date audiovisual equipment to facilitate a wide array of programs in the library’s Community Room
• LCD screens in the entryways that provide visibility for the library’s programs and need-to-know information
• Seed money to start the library’s Library of Things
• Seed money to start our companion organization, the Library Foundation of Needham
• International and foreign language materials
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do the Friends’ funds come from?
The generosity of the public allows the Friends to support library activities. We raise most of our funds through our periodic book sales and the Friends’ Book Shop. Additional funds come from membership dues and donations.
Who runs the Friends?
The officers and Board of Directors of the Friends meeting monthly from September through the annual meeting in June, to plan and organize the activities of the Friends. Current officers are:
President: Bruce Barnett
Vice President: Margaret Pantridge
Recording Secretary: Jan Bowen
Corresponding Secretary: John Lechner
Co-Treasurers: Paul Chern and Susan Chern
How can I get involved with the Friends?
We would love to have you join us. Our volunteers help organize our book sales, plan our programs and serve on the board of directors. We have volunteer opportunities to suit a wide variety of interests and time commitments. Working with the Friends is a great way to make new friends, get involved with the community and be around books. If you are interested, please learn more here and fill out this volunteer interest form. We will be in touch!
How can I follow Friends’ activities?
Members receive email and snail-mail notifications of our events and activities. You can also follow us on Facebook and here on this web site.
How can I contact the Friends?
Please email us using our contact page.
The Friends of the Needham Public Library is a Section 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.